Puppy Love

source: http://goo.gl/5Dm6y

I want a dog.  I really want a dog.  My canine soul-mate, Huckleberry, passed away about 5 years ago and I’ve missed that feeling of unfaltering love and completeness that comes with sharing your life with a dog.

On weekends, I find myself trolling the internet, looking at pictures of puppies.  Always a fan of big dogs in the past, lately I’ve been captivated by the look of puggle puppies, those pug-beagle crossbreeds.  Especially the ones with wrinkly noses.  Honestly, how can anyone resist those wrinkly noses?

With my outrageous schedule, though, it would be irresponsible to get a dog unless I could take it to work.  A dog would be the perfect addition to my classroom: my struggling readers and writers could read to him without feeling self-conscious, he would be the inspiration for creative writing, caring for him would provide an outlet for some of my students with emotional needs, etc.  He would be therapeutic for teacher and students alike.  Really, it’s a win-win situation all around.

Alas, the rules say “no dogs allowed.”  I pout.

Not to be deterred in my quest for a pet, I opted for an interim solution.  Meet my pet bromeliads, Spike and Duke.

Spike is the one on the left. Duke is on the right.

Spike and Duke taking their thrice-weekly dip.

Hardly the same as having a dog, but I don’t have to feel guilty if I work late.